Mar 04 2008

What’s in a name? Books for children named Oliver

Published by at 8:02 am under Books

New here? Then you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

I’ve always collected Lucy books for my daughter, Lucie. I’m always on the lookout for books for my son, Nathan and my two nephews. For Nathan there’s the Nate the Great series of books. For my nephew Adam, I have been challenged to find anything.

But for his big brother, Oliver, it’s easy. There’s:

• oliver who would not sleepOliver Who Would Not Sleep – For ages 4 to 8, this book is about a little boy named Oliver, who’d rather go off on all types of exlporations – painting, reading, racing and a trip to Mars, than go to sleep. Perfect for those Olivers and Olivias who’d rather do anything but GO TO BED.
  • Amanda Pig and Her Brother Oliver books – For ages 4 to 8, these easy readers feature the adventures of Amanda Pig and her big brother, Oliver.
  • Oliver’s Vegetable, Oliver’s Milk Shake and Oliver’s Fruit Salad books by Vivian French’s For ages 4 to 8, French’s books deal with the finicky Oliver and how his mom gets him to eat fruit, vegetables, and a milk shake.
  • Oliver Finds His Way – For babies and toddlers, this book looks at Oliver the bear who gets lost in the woods and finds his way back to his parents. We got this book out from our local library and enjoyed the story and the beautiful illustrations.

oliver has something to say There’s obviously a bunch of wonderful Oliver books out there, but I have to mention one more – Oliver Has Something to Say! by Pamela Edwards and illustrated by Louis Pilon. From Lobster Press, this Oliver book is for ages four to eight, though it should resonate mostly with the pre-kindergarten crowd. (Kudos to Edwards to mentioning pre-K. Since it hasn’t been around that long, most books only use preschool and kindergarten in their stories. This drives my daughter crazy. Lucie always tells me, “I’m in pre-K, mommy, not preschool!)

Oliver Has Something to Say! is about Oliver who just turned four and is starting pre-K. Having involved parents and a bossy sister means that everyone talks for Oliver. Finally, at school, his pre-K teacher, Mrs. Samra encourages Oliver to speak up. And boy does he ever, telling his parents what he wants to eat and telling his sister that he’s not afraid of dogs. Oliver Has Something to Say! makes us realize that quiet kids do have opinions and we need to encourage them to express themselves.

Looking for more Oliver books? Jen Robinson’s Book Page recommends Oliver’s Must Do List.

Do you collect books with your child’s name in the title? Comment below!

Like what you see? Subscribe to My Readable Feast for updates!

8 responses so far

8 Responses to “What’s in a name? Books for children named Oliver”

1. sk-rt.comon 04 Mar 2008 at 8:10 am

What’s in a name? Books for children named Oliver…

A round up of children’s books for boys named Oliver. Includes a review of “Oliver Has Something to Say” from Lobster press….

2. Jen Robinsonon 04 Mar 2008 at 7:29 pm

Susan Taylor Brown’s Oliver’s Must Do List is another lovely Oliver book (a picture book).

3. Constanceon 04 Mar 2008 at 9:44 pm

Please add Elizabeth Enright’s wonderful Melendy books to your Oliver list! He is the youngest and dearest of the family, beginning in The Saturdays.

4. PreSchool Mamaon 05 Mar 2008 at 5:50 am

They all sound wonderful, especially the one for Pre-K’ers. Never too early to get them to read.

5. Karen (Karooch fromon 06 Mar 2008 at 3:05 am

I would have loved to do that for my daughter when she was little Anne-Marie. But sadly there weren’t many books — or anything else for that matter — featuring the name Seona. I used to jump on anything that would custom name their product as none of the regular products covered her name. Fortunately she loves her name anyway.

6. Meganon 07 Mar 2008 at 11:07 pm

Oddly it has NEVER occurred to me to get books for my girls that include their names. How silly of me! Now I am on a quest. Thanks for the idea.

7. Terryon 20 Mar 2008 at 4:05 pm

Oliver Finds His Way is a sweet children’s book, too.

I never thought about a book with my daughter’s name in the title until someone gave it to me as a shower gift! That was 2001 and there was only one children’s book in print with her name and her spelling: Three Cheers for Catherine the Great. Now I’m always on the lookout for titles with her name AND I don’t have to kill myself trying think about “the perfect” new baby gift anymore!

8. Annaon 15 Feb 2009 at 7:46 pm

“Oliver in the Garden” – Margaret Beames and Sue Hitchcock – wonderful art work and very cute story – NEW ZEALAND

“Ollie”and “Ollie the Stomper” Olivier Dunrea – Ollie is a rather definite little duckling!

• Partner links

• best finpecia online pill no rx cod Endep buy cheap fedex Endep buy Endep without a perscription order buy Endep online online pharmacy Endep Endep toronto buy Endep overnight buy Aricept online no rx buy Aricept cash on delivery Nizoral buy fedex cheap purchase Nizoral Nizoral overnight no consult order Nizoral order amex Cytotec overnight delivery fed ex generic Requip cost Amitriptyline to buy purchase Amitriptyline online without rx buy Lisinopril online no rx finpecia purchase online Nizoral apotheke Metformin overnight buy Aricept mastercard Aricept from india ordering Amitriptyline online order rx free Amitriptyline purchase Requip amex online without rx Amitriptyline sale pharmacy Requip overnight Amitriptyline without a rx buy discount Nizoral line buy in Accutane 40 mg uk purchase Accutane 40 mg buy 40 mg Accutane free consultation 40 mg Accutane no rx order buy Lisinopril online buy the drug click here Premarin online buy saturday delivery buy Premarin next day delivery Premarin uk fedex Premarin overnight without a rx Metformin ohne rezept where can i buy Metformin buy Finpecia uk online|buy cheap Finpecia online|order Finpecia|Finpecia generic walmart|Finpecia online prescription|buy Finpecia 1mg online|Finpecia generic online|Finpecia costco price|order Finpecia online|buy Finpecia 1mg malaysia|purchase Finpecia uk|topical Finpecia buy|Finpecia 1 mg order online|Finpecia generic|buy Finpecia online canada|Finpecia 1 mg order online|Finpecia online india|Finpecia generic 1 mg|order Finpecia uk|Finpecia depression women|buy cheap Finpecia 1mg|Finpecia generic names|legal buy Finpecia online|Finpecia depression women|buy Finpecia 1mg india|Finpecia generic walmart|buy Finpecia 1mg online|Finpecia online india|buy Finpecia 1mg online|Finpecia 1mg tablets|Finpecia costco price|order Finpecia canada|buy Finpecia online australia|Finpecia dose hair|buy Finpecia online paypal|Finpecia 1mg|Finpecia 1mg for sale|Finpecia online uk|buy Finpecia uk|Finpecia 1mg vs 1mg|Finpecia generic walmart|Finpecia costco pharmacy|buy Finpecia online paypa buy generic Metformin online where can i get prednisone without a prescription how to order finpecia online no prescription Metformin Lisinopril canadian pharmacy finpecia can buy prednisone in usa Metformin canada pharmacy Metformin Metformin mexico buy discount Metformin line Orlistat canada buy finpecia overnight how to order finpecia buy prednisone spain where to buy prednisone online ordering Orlistat online Orlistat sale buy discount Orlistat online buy cheap Orlistat without prescription buy Metformin uk cheapest place to buy Metformin buy Finpecia india online|Finpecia 1 mg order online|Finpecia generic vs propecia|Finpecia cost australia|buy generic Finpecia uk|purchase Finpecia uk|buy Finpecia online prescription|buy generic Finpecia 1mg|buy Finpecia|Finpecia online australia|buy Finpecia no prescription uk|order Finpecia 1mg|buy Finpecia cheap|Finpecia generic 1mg|Finpecia online prescription|Finpecia 1mg generic canada|Finpecia costco pharmacy|Finpecia 1mg india|Finpecia generic walmart|buy Finpecia no prescription forum|buy Finpecia online australia|Finpecia online uk) buy cheap Metformin without prescription Metformin 1000 mg Metformin order online buy the drug order lisinopril
    Copy Protected by Tech Tips's CopyProtect Wordpress Blogs.