Mar 04 2008

What’s in a name? Books for children named Oliver

Published by at 8:02 am under Books

New here? Then you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

I’ve always collected Lucy books for my daughter, Lucie. I’m always on the lookout for books for my son, Nathan and my two nephews. For Nathan there’s the Nate the Great series of books. For my nephew Adam, I have been challenged to find anything.

But for his big brother, Oliver, it’s easy. There’s:

• oliver who would not sleepOliver Who Would Not Sleep – For ages 4 to 8, this book is about a little boy named Oliver, who’d rather go off on all types of exlporations – painting, reading, racing and a trip to Mars, than go to sleep. Perfect for those Olivers and Olivias who’d rather do anything but GO TO BED.
  • Amanda Pig and Her Brother Oliver books – For ages 4 to 8, these easy readers feature the adventures of Amanda Pig and her big brother, Oliver.
  • Oliver’s Vegetable, Oliver’s Milk Shake and Oliver’s Fruit Salad books by Vivian French’s For ages 4 to 8, French’s books deal with the finicky Oliver and how his mom gets him to eat fruit, vegetables, and a milk shake.
  • Oliver Finds His Way – For babies and toddlers, this book looks at Oliver the bear who gets lost in the woods and finds his way back to his parents. We got this book out from our local library and enjoyed the story and the beautiful illustrations.

oliver has something to say There’s obviously a bunch of wonderful Oliver books out there, but I have to mention one more – Oliver Has Something to Say! by Pamela Edwards and illustrated by Louis Pilon. From Lobster Press, this Oliver book is for ages four to eight, though it should resonate mostly with the pre-kindergarten crowd. (Kudos to Edwards to mentioning pre-K. Since it hasn’t been around that long, most books only use preschool and kindergarten in their stories. This drives my daughter crazy. Lucie always tells me, “I’m in pre-K, mommy, not preschool!)

Oliver Has Something to Say! is about Oliver who just turned four and is starting pre-K. Having involved parents and a bossy sister means that everyone talks for Oliver. Finally, at school, his pre-K teacher, Mrs. Samra encourages Oliver to speak up. And boy does he ever, telling his parents what he wants to eat and telling his sister that he’s not afraid of dogs. Oliver Has Something to Say! makes us realize that quiet kids do have opinions and we need to encourage them to express themselves.

Looking for more Oliver books? Jen Robinson’s Book Page recommends Oliver’s Must Do List.

Do you collect books with your child’s name in the title? Comment below!

Like what you see? Subscribe to My Readable Feast for updates!

8 responses so far

8 Responses to “What’s in a name? Books for children named Oliver”

1. sk-rt.comon 04 Mar 2008 at 8:10 am

What’s in a name? Books for children named Oliver…

A round up of children’s books for boys named Oliver. Includes a review of “Oliver Has Something to Say” from Lobster press….

2. Jen Robinsonon 04 Mar 2008 at 7:29 pm

Susan Taylor Brown’s Oliver’s Must Do List is another lovely Oliver book (a picture book).

3. Constanceon 04 Mar 2008 at 9:44 pm

Please add Elizabeth Enright’s wonderful Melendy books to your Oliver list! He is the youngest and dearest of the family, beginning in The Saturdays.

4. PreSchool Mamaon 05 Mar 2008 at 5:50 am

They all sound wonderful, especially the one for Pre-K’ers. Never too early to get them to read.

5. Karen (Karooch fromon 06 Mar 2008 at 3:05 am

I would have loved to do that for my daughter when she was little Anne-Marie. But sadly there weren’t many books — or anything else for that matter — featuring the name Seona. I used to jump on anything that would custom name their product as none of the regular products covered her name. Fortunately she loves her name anyway.

6. Meganon 07 Mar 2008 at 11:07 pm

Oddly it has NEVER occurred to me to get books for my girls that include their names. How silly of me! Now I am on a quest. Thanks for the idea.

7. Terryon 20 Mar 2008 at 4:05 pm

Oliver Finds His Way is a sweet children’s book, too.

I never thought about a book with my daughter’s name in the title until someone gave it to me as a shower gift! That was 2001 and there was only one children’s book in print with her name and her spelling: Three Cheers for Catherine the Great. Now I’m always on the lookout for titles with her name AND I don’t have to kill myself trying think about “the perfect” new baby gift anymore!

8. Annaon 15 Feb 2009 at 7:46 pm

“Oliver in the Garden” – Margaret Beames and Sue Hitchcock – wonderful art work and very cute story – NEW ZEALAND

“Ollie”and “Ollie the Stomper” Olivier Dunrea – Ollie is a rather definite little duckling!

• Partner links

• best finpecia online pill buy prednisone with no prescription buy Cytotec prescription buy Lisinopril online no rx finpecia purchase online order buy Lisinopril online cheap order rx metformin prednisone without a persription buy generic Metformin online buy Maxalt 10 mg order Maxalt online no prescription where can i buy Maxalt Maxalt order overnight buy low cost Metformin online Metformin order Finpecia no prescription overnight delivery buy Finpecia with no prescription order metformin no visa cheapest place to buy Metformin buy cheap Metformin without prescription Metformin order online Alli 60 mg
    Copy Protected by Tech Tips's CopyProtect Wordpress Blogs.